April 24, 2020
Maintaining a sense of normalcy can be a powerful tool to ground ourselves amongst these uncertain times. And while our beauty routines may not be as important as the issues facing the world, we can’t help but feel tempted to make up for those missed self-care appointments and take matters into our own hands. From the at-home manis to bang trimming to even reshaping your own brows!
But a love note to the bold… if you’ve never waxed yourself down there, please don’t try this at home! I’m here to reveal my secrets to a healthy and happy glow below, without aggravating the skin.
“But why can’t I just give a self-wax a whirl?!” you ask?
Sensitive areas, like your face and bikini, can be difficult for first-time waxers. Waxing is always best performed by a licensed esthetician, trained on the proper steps to avoid unnecessary burns, bruising, or even infections. All of which could potentially happen during your DIY wax. So… ladies, put the at-home wax kits down, and follow along as we break down the ways to keep a healthy glow below while social distancing.
Scenario 1 – let it gooooo!
It may sound like a daunting task, but what better time than while practicing social distancing!? If you are an avid waxer, reaching for a razor can result in pesky ingrown hairs and unnecessary razor burn. Plus, it will prevent your hair cycles from staying on track when you do come in for your first wax post-quarantine.
Okay, but what can you do to to keep this area in tip-top shape?
- Make sure that you are properly exfoliating the area at least 1-2x/week to prevent any ingrown hairs. Palermo’s Detox Body Scrub is my go-to to detoxify and soothe inflammation. With dead sea salt, tea tree, and white sea clay, this scrub will gently exfoliate and draw out toxins while providing an antibacterial dose to say “no thanks” to any ingrown hairs.
- Invest in a beauty trimmer. You’ll be surprised what a little trim can do to the mind. This method prevents any ingrowns from forming because you aren’t removing the root from the hair follicle. Trimming regularly will not only make it an easier feat to manage your hair, but it will also make your first appointment less intimidating since your hair won’t be so long.
- Stay hydrated. Yes, this applies even to your lady parts. Reach for Lady Suite Rejuvenating Botanical Oil to stop skin struggles in their tracks, with a blend of botanical oils to support your skin and prevent sensitivity, ingrowns, and dryness.
Scenario #2 – razor to the rescue!
If you can’t handle the hair and are feeling the urge to shave, that’s okay too. Preparation and after care are crucial to keep the skins smooth and clear, sans irritation and ingrowns.
The how-to for proper shaving:
- Though it’s true that shaving exfoliates the skin, it’s best to exfoliate before reaching for that razor as well. Prepping the skin by exfoliating will buff away anything that may be clog your freshly-shaved pores and remove the dead skin cells that may be get the way. Another scrub favorite to do pre-shave is Goop’s 5 Salt Detox. With five mineral-rich salts and three moisture-rich oils, this scrub will leave your skin smooth, hydrated, and ready for a close shave. For further skin prep, spend about 10 minutes in warm water, to help soften the outer layer of your skin and lessen the chances of razor burn! Pro tip: Make sure to continue to exfoliate in between shaves. Don’t skip on your weekly scrub and better yet, invest in a dry brush to keep up with daily exfoliation and the prevention of ingrowns!
- Do not skip the shaving cream. Dry shaving doesn’t create any slip, which means the razor can lightly abrade your skin and leave it irritated + prone to inflammation. Allow Agent Nateur’s Holi(Skin) Shave Oil to provide a clean and fuss-free shave while delivering hydration directly to the skin. Star ingredients like calendula and chamomile will also calm the shaved skin and eliminate inflammation, especially great for those who haven’t been introduced to a razor for some time.
- Investing in a good razor is key for a good shave! The more blades, the better the shave will be, as it dispenses more pressure allowing each blade to cut with less force, but more effect. Remember, there is one correct direction to be shaving, and that is with your hair growth. Going against the grain of your hair makes irritation and ingrowns much more likely.
- When it comes to shaving, after care is key! It is important to always hydrate and moisturize post-shave, and Lady Suite’s Rejuvenating Botanical Oil does just that. It’s super-rich in plant-based Essential Fatty Acids and a naturally-derived scent from cedarwood and orange oils – with bacteria-fighting properties – to smooth, hydrate and relieve discomfort. A winning formula all around!
So there you have it, beauties. If you decide to let it go or if you’re ready to bare it all because it’s what’s keeping your dreams of sunbathing on the beach alive – we’re here for you and cannot wait to have you back in our spa once we reopen our doors.
Have additional waxing questions? Book a Virtual Skin Consult with our Holistic Estheticians!