April 20, 2018
It’s Spring! And if you’re anything like us, you’re feeling a renewed excitement for taking care of your space, your body and your SKIN. A refresh! A spring clean! Call it what you want to call it…but where do you begin? How do you sort through the mountains of skin-tips out there without adding an hour of overwhelm to your morning and nighttime routine?
Our Shop Good Skin and Product Experts put our heads together this week to come up with our super simple, non-negotiable list for optimal spring skin. If you do anything for your skin this Spring, this condensed but majorly effective to-do list will keep you glowing all season long.
1 / PROPERLY CLEANSE.
Ensuring your cleansing routine is DIALED IN is critical for that clear no-makeup-needed fresh face. (Here’s looking at you, miss-“I-always-forget-to-wash-my-face-before-bed!”) Proper cleansing 2x a-day automatically can help prevent breakouts, reduce inflammation and improve overall skin health.
When you cleanse, ensure your makeup is removed first. We like keeping a balm of high quality coconut oil in our bathroom cabinet or simply double cleansing to remove makeup and debris. (Side note: when you’re using natural makeup, your day-face should come off effortlessly unlike the glue-like feeling of chemically-laden makeup!) As you thoroughly wash face and neck, use gentle circular motions and give yourself a facial massage. Focus in on the areas where congestion is common and really work the cleanser into the pores. Take your time here with some deep cleansing breaths!
A key to proper cleansing is ensuring you’re using the right cleanser for your skin type. DM us or pop into the shop for a one-on-one consult, but here’s a quick guide to our face wash recs:
- Sensitive or totally normal, no-issue skin? Stick to our Botnia Gentle Cleanser for a nourishing and balancing gel wash.
- Oily, combination or congestion-prone skin? Use Botnia’s Daily Face Wash. This one has a natural form of salicylic acid that serves as a great scrubber and pH balancer for the skin’s surface.
- Cystic-acne and chronic breakouts? We love Urb Apothecary’s Willow Charcoal Cleanser to clarify and help remove excess oils and toxins from the skin, without over-drying.
- Dry, dull skin? Choose a cream wash like Berlin Skin’s Coconut + Aloe Cleanser. The blend of healing oils, aloe, gotu kola, and wild geranium, will remove any impurities while majorly restore moisture, suppleness and life back into to the skin.
2 / EXFOLIATE, BUT NOT THE WAY YOU USED TO.
The winter months take their toll on your skin (think: hot showers, dry indoor heating, harsh temperatures) leaving your complexion dull, flaky and stagnant. A gentle exfoliation just 1x per week can help get rid of ashy, winter skin, help to promote more cellular turnover and encourage that Spring GLOW. But, wait! Before you begin, a word to the wise. Please, do not scrub! Small, gentle circles is all you need. Think about moving the product, not your skin! Rubbing or scratching the skin when exfoliating can scrape the skin’s surface and create inflammation + long-term damage.
Our favorite ways to exfoliate:
- Use a soft Konjac sponge like this one. This naturally anti-bacterial and porous sponge becomes super soft when wet (we promise, its still doing it’s job). Pump your cleanser right on it and work the sponge in gentle, circular motions into the skin. It’s gentle enough to do 2-3x a week and comes with a shower hook so it’s always in sight!
- Province Apothecary’s Stimulating Exfoliator is loaded with soft exfoliators like oatmeal, green tea, and lavender and works to nourish, rejuvenate, stimulate, and heal the skin. Dreading the thought of adding another step to your skincare routine? This dry, powder formula can be mixed with your cleanser of choice, allowing you to exfoliate and cleanse at the same time (because multitasking is always a good idea)!
- Gently work your cleanser into the skin with a damp washcloth before rinsing! That’s it!
3 / BRING THE MOISTURE BACK.
Top of your spring wish list? Banish that dehydrated winter skin! When there isn’t enough moisture available in the air, you can experience flakiness, redness and tightness. But if you’re good about moisturizing in both your morning and nighttime routines, this one can be an easy fix, especially with our top hydration recs below. Note, you’ll want to moisturize as your final skin-step before your SPF (see #4).
- We’re loving Botnia’s Daily Face Cream Light for Spring. It quenches the skin, provides protection from the environment, and feels virtually weightless. Rose, jojoba oil, and vitamin E are this formula’s superstar ingredients, helping to fight inflammation, keep your cells healthy, and mimic the natural oils of your skin without feeling greasy.
- Lightly coat the skin with BARA by H is for Love before bed. This emollient balm will richly absorb and penetrate into the skin overnight with Jojoba oil, Macadamia nut oil and Sea buckthorn oil — only to reveal a completely hydrated and glowy complexion in the AM.
4 / PROTECT AND PREVENT.
After spending a few months bundled up with layers of clothing, it can be easy to forget about the sun protection in your everyday routine. Now that sunnier, longer days are ahead of us, make sure to keep your skin happy, youthful and healthy by applying some SPF everyday. This is a serious non-negotiable, you guys!
- Suntegrity is our go-to: a skin-nourishing mix of organic aloe, hyaluronic acid, red algae, cucumber, and green tea, along with the cleanest ingredients, make this a must-have all season long!
5/ FOR EXTRA SKIN POINTS! (AND ADDED CLARITY + GLOW)
It’s clear the season and environment is changing and so is your skin. It’s time to schedule your next (or first!) facial – whether it be our signature 45 minute quickie or our brand new Seasonal Feature Facial. Shop Good facials will leave your skin hydrated, fresh and make that spring-clean-refresh a very real thing.
With this no-excuses-necessary list, transitioning through the seasons with healthy, glowing skin doesn’t have to be complicated. Questions about products specific to your bio-individual skin type or skin concern? Simply stop by the shop or email us your Q’s. We’re always happy to provide our skin A’s! —> 3030 North Park Way, San Digo, CA 92104 // email@example.com !