July 7, 2017
Things are getting a little hot and heavy…
Between the rather intense heat and the heaps of food and beverage imbibed during the recent holiday week (“But dad was on the grill! And sister’s famous margs, though!”)… many of us are in search for that quick and painless summer reset. Eating lighter, cooler and cleaner just sounds so, well… nice right about now.
We’re in the same boat. So we thought we’d share our current favorite summer recipe — we’re literally enjoying it on the daily RN. Each ingredient is chosen for it’s natural ability to reset, replenish, heal and cool.
Before you judge this as ‘just another green smoothie’ think again. This recipe was inspired by natural skincare guru and creator of RMS beauty, Rose Marie Swift. This smoothie stands out to us because of the below.
Why we love it:
- It calls for a water base rather than a nut milk or coconut base – making it hydrating, allergenic-free and includes less excess sugar overall.
- It’s a beautiful balance of proteins and healthy fats – preventing blood sugar from spiking or waves of hunger 20 minutes later.
- When ingredients are chopped or washed in advance it takes less than 5 minutes to make.
The ingredients and their ‘why’:
- 1 handful of microgreens – the most nutrient-dense foods among us – aka – more bang for your buck (and time). We like using sunflower sprouts.
- 1/2 banana – your daily potassium, fiber and your natural smoothie sweetener.
- 1 handful of organic blueberries – one word: Antioxidant. (Your skin says “YAY!”)
- 1/4 cucumber, seeds removed – cucumbers contain more water per serving than any other vegetable—96%!
- 2-4 small cauliflower florets – creates smoothie consistency and adds mega Vitamin C!
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds – contain anti-inflammatory Omega 3 / 6 fatty acids and easily-digestible proteins.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds – more essential fats that strengthen your hair and nails while also reducing dryness and increasing circulation in the skin.
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon of your favorite green powder – we like this one here.
- Toss all ingredients into your blender with 4 ice cubes and 1.5 cups of water.
- Watch body temp drop and skin GLOW.
*Decide to cool things off and make this smoothie? Let us know! Tag us on Instagram at @good_life.co