July 23, 2020
The word ‘acid’ can be a little scary, but the truth is, it’s one of our favorite ingredients in our skin regimen! Acids (when used correctly) can transform the skin + yield real results. But which is right for you? And how often should you include? We’ve rallied up the best acids for each skin type + are breaking it all down, right here. Psst, don’t forget your SPF!
The right acid for your skin type:
1. Acne + Oily // Salicylic – For those with recurring blemishes + oily skin, salicylic acid is your friend! Derived from willow bark, salicylic is a widely recognized treatment for acne-prone skin. It helps breakdown built up sebum which can lead to clogged pores aka #winning at preventing breakouts. SA also helps increase cell turnover for even tone + smooth texture. Use 2x times a week with your clean SPF layered on top. Try: Moon Juice’s Acid Potion
2. Combo // AHA’s – For combo skin types, reach for alpha-hydroxy acids, derived from plant sources or fruit! They gently unbind dead skin cells attached to your epidermis. Bonus: this form of exfoliation also may increase collagen synthesis, improve sun damage + brighten dull skin. Start by using1x a week + an additional day if needed. Try: Ursa Major’s Flash Mask
3. Sensitive // Lactic – Acids may still be beneficial, even for sensitive types! The right kind of acid can support a gentle exfoliation of the skin, while also boosting hydration. Meet lactic acid: a non-friction type exfoliant that will break down dead skin cells sans the increased sensitivity. Lactic is a true multi-tasker, as it can improve discoloration, clogged pores, rough texture + much more. Use 1x every other week paired with your SPF. Try: Osea’s Ocean Cleanser
4. Mature // Ascorbic – Better known as Vitamin C, ascorbic acid packs a powerful antioxidant punch. Products with a quality ascorbic acid have countless benefits + can support the skin’s natural regeneration process, repair damaged skin cells + strengthen collagen production. Use 1x per day, preferably in the morning underneath your clean SPF! Try: Nuori’s Supreme-C
5. Dry // Hyaluronic – A forever favorite! With frequent usage, this trendy acid can help plump up the skin. HA holds 1000x its weight in water and will boost your skin’s elasticity while protecting from environmental triggers. It’s perfect for those with dry, flaky skin since it helps deposit moisture and locks it all in. Use daily, even 2x per day! Try: Botnia’s Hydrating Serum
6. Normal // Glycolic – For our normal-skin folks, glycolic is for you. This specific type of AHA is the simplest in structure + the smallest in molecular weight, which means it can penetrate deeper into the skin and work its exfoliation magic, helping skin feel firmer and minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Use 1-2x a week with an SPF on top. Try: goop’s Overnight Glow Peel Pads
Have more acid Q’s? Book a Virtual or In-Person Consultation with January. (Find under our ‘Del Mar + Virtual’ location’)
Shop January’s Acid Toolkit here.