August 12, 2020
Aging gracefully is about celebrating the beautiful process and embracing the changes and opportunities it brings. And when it comes to your skincare journey, we want to meet you where you’re at.While we aren’t trying to turn back the clock, we can support you in achieving radiant, healthy looking skin, no matter your age.
Skin-supporting ingredients for graceful aging:
1. Retinoic // If you’re curious about this ingredient, you’re not alone. Retinoic acid (derived from Vitamin A-rich sources, like rosehips) targets darks spots, expression lines, tone and even texture. Retinoids work at a much more profound level by increasing collagen production, enhancing cellular turnover, repairing pigmentation, and even tackling adult acne. It’s powerful stuff! Use 2-4 times a week during your PM skin ritual for best results.
Try: Tata Harper Retinoic Nutrient Face Oil
2. Alpha-Hydroxy Acids // Yes, you may know know that AHA’s gently exfoliate the skin but this ingredient also has other incredible benefits. These acid are simplest in structure and the smallest in molecular weight, meaning increased product absorption for faster + better results. While AHA’s gently remove dead skin cells + debris on the skin, they also increase blood flow, collagen production and can reverse dark spots and scarring (truly a multitasking ingredient!). Being gentle is key if you want to maintain healthy skin, so we recommend using 2-3x times a week for normal/oily skin types, 1-2 for dry/combo skin and 1x a week (or every other) for sensitive skin. Our fave AHA’s are glycolic, lactic, and citric acids!
Try: goopglow Microderm Exfoliator or Moss Mornings Sleep Peel
3. SPF // You’ve heard us say this before: Wear it! Always!! It really is crucial to your skin’s long-term health and is necessary 365 days a year – especially since 75% of signs of aging are caused by unprotected sun exposure. UVA rays can change the DNA in the skin to cause premature skin aging, dark spots and damage to our moisture barrier. We love our SPF options for their skin-healing ingredients and sans-white-cast finish!
Try: Unsun Mineral Tinted Face Sunscreen
4. Carrot Seed Oil // This oil has wonderful skin revitalizing and toning properties, as it delivers high amounts of natural Vitamin A, Vitamin C and carotene to the skin (it’s really an antioxidant superstar!). Carrot seed helps mend skin, boosts collagen, moisturizes, smooths lines and repairs sun damage (and any other skin trauma). Plus, it has stimulant properties, which means it can enhance circulation to the skin. Apply daily as part of your AM routine, and remember to follow up with an SPF. Safe to say, we love this stuff!
Try: Berlin Skin Carrot Seed Serum
5. Hyaluronic Acid // Love HA? Us too. This water-loving substance is able to enhance moisture in the skin beyond comparison – which is especially important for mature skin. As we age, our skin looses its firmness, suppleness + plumpness (hello, wrinkles). And, when our skin is dry or lacking moisture, signs of aging can be a lot more pronounced. Use a hyaluronic based serum every day. Remember to apply around areas that show signs of aging first, too (like around the eyes + mouth!). For those with dryer skin types, use 2x a day.
Try: Botnia Hydrating Serum
Have more graceful aging skin Q’s? Book a Virtual or In-Person Skin Consult with January!
*Find under our ‘Del Mar + Virtual’ location!*
Shop January’s Graceful Aging toolkit here!